WWI in the Herald: February 9, 1915

WWI in the Herald: Archive
Wuxi Plastic Surgery


Paris, Monday.

The latest communiques are as follow:-

The British have captured a brickfield a kilometre east of Guinchy, to the south-west of La Bassee, which had always been held by the enemy.

Except for small attacks at Nieuport and bombardment of the northern quarter of Soissons, operations have been uneventful.

A message from Dunkirk states that a Franco-Belgian force forced a passage between the west of the Great Dune and the sea, sending damaging fire from their new positions against the enemy’s extreme right before Westende.

London, Monday.

The S.S. Lusitania, when leaving Ireland, hoisted the American flag, in pursuance of the Admiralty’s instructions.

She has arrived safely at Liverpool.

Petrograd, Monday.

The following is the latest communique:-

We have made successful night attacks at Rypin. Our artillery routed a column marching towards Bolimow, and their guns were captured.

Fighting has occurred along the whole front. In the Carpathians we shattered the enemy’s resistance at three fortified positions at Mozojaborez, and pursued the enemy for several versts, capturing 172 officers, and upwards of 10,000 men, 18 field guns, and 2 machine guns.

The enemy’s attacks in the Foukholka and Beskid Passes were repulsed with heavy losses. The enemy retreated in disorder.

The cruiser Breslau exchanged shots with the fortress at Batoum, and retired.

Cairo, Monday.

Many of the enemy are deserting to the British.

Some of the deserters say they see German and Turkish officers shooting runaways.

None of the enemy’s shells reached Ismailia. Most of them dropped into Lake Timsab. The enemy’s arrangements for traversing the desert were good. They marched well, covering from Beersheba to the Canal in ten days

The chaplains were instructed to warn the soldiers that victory or paradise awaited them in Egypt, and death or hell if they retreated.

The Syrian troops came bravely on until a shell from a warship wiped out a party of officers. The latest news indicates the enemy’s advanced guard is in full retreat.

London, Sunday.

The Press Bureau reports that Turkish officers imprisoned at Toussoun state that a division subdivided at Katab-el-Khiel, four hours’ journey from the Canal, in order to attack different points.

Six hundred attacked Toussom, and when they reached the Canal encountered a hot and well-aimed fire, sustaining many casualties.

They were then surrounded, and their commandant, Aris Bey, was wounded, and carried off the field. The second in command was also wounded, and taken prisoner.

Another officer states that his subdivision marched all night, and commenced an action at dawn. The first line recoiled from the British fire, but a half company of the second line launched and entered a boat, which was riddled and sank.

Only one officer and one man out of the party survived, and they surrendered to the Indians.

Athens, Monday.

Four of the Allies’ torpedoers bombarded the Turkish forts at Karatepe, in the Dardanelles, and the ammunition depots.

Word was received in Newcastle yesterday of the death in Egypt of Private William Raymond Law, of H Company, Second Battalion, of the First Expeditionary Force.

The Rev. J. B. Fulton, of West Wallsend, a former chaplain in the Commonwealth forces, received a telegram from Colonel Luscombe, Victoria Barracks, Sydney, asking him to convey the sad news to Mr. and Mrs. James Law, Junior, of Lambton, the parents of the deceased soldier. The telegram tendered to the relatives deep regret and sympathy, and on behalf of the King and Queen, as well as the Commonwealth Government, conveyed a sense of the loss sustained by the death of the soldier.

The deceased enlisted soon after the commencement of the war, and left Sydney in November. He was twenty years of age, and his death occurred in the Mena Hospital from pneumonia and heart failure. The Rev. J. B. Fulton carried out his sad duty with as little delay as possible. Mrs. Law was prostrated by the shock of hearing of the death of her son.

Miss Mary Scobie, secretary of the Military Kitchen Fund, is in receipt of the following letter from Major F. W. Page, Acting Quartermaster-General of the Second Military District:-

“I am directed by the District Commandant Colonel E. T. Wallack, C.B., to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the 29th ultimo, and to inform you that he will gladly arrange for the necessary purchase and due presentation of the travelling kitchen which you and your co-workers in the movement desire be placed at the disposal of the Second Battalion First Infantry Brigade, A.I.F., commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Braund. He will be glad if you will accept yourself and convey to all concerned, his thanks for the warm interest taken in the matter. To give effect to the foregoing I will be glad if you will kindly forward to me a bank draft for £150, the cost of the kitchen in London, payable to the High Commissioner for Australia, London, when arrangements will be made for purchase and early presentation of the kitchen to the Second Battalion.”

Mrs. R. Hobden, treasurer of the fund, yesterday sent to Colonel Wallack a bank draft for £150, and a balance of £90 in hand, will be sent to Lieutenant-Colonel Braund in Egypt for use at his discretion for comforts for the Second Battalion of Australian Infantry.

Sydney, Monday.

“Judging from a report in the press, there seems to be some misunderstanding in regard to civil servants and instructors, which ought to be cleared up,” said Mr. Carmichael, Minister for Education, speaking at a meeting at Balmain tonight.

“Secretaries of rifle clubs should not apply direct to State departments for special officers, or great confusion will result. A register of all civil servants capable and willing to act has been collated throughout the service. I am having those tabulated, and from day to day sent on to the military authorities, under whom it must be distinctly understood they are placed for the time required, and for that purpose only. This register is kept by the military, and is supplied them in three divisions:

(a) Those whose service can be most easily replaced during absence; (b) those less easily; and (c) emergency men, who can be called on at any time to fill a gap. Instructors from the civil service required to drill rifle club reserve companies will be notified by Major Buchanan in advance of the time and place they are to take up duties.

So far we have sent upwards of three hundred names. It is presumed that instructors in private employ also will be made available by their employers later, if the necessity arises, in the same way, so that there may be one controlling authority.

The rifle movement is being taken up so earnestly that it suggests a very big thing in the future, demanding a complete organisation at its inception, and no confusion. The procedure should be quite a simple one.

In order to initiate a rifle company, application should be made to Captain Sherbon, Victoria Barracks for a rifle club form.

This must be signed by not less than 30 persons, who guarantee to be active members.

As soon as the company is formed, I would suggest it should be registered with the authorities, and application be made, if necessary, for instructors, giving the drill ground and time of drill. By these simple means a military register can be kept of the essentials for a smoothly working organisation.

The results to date have been eminently satisfactory.

As expected, the men of Sydney have taken volunteering up in a quiet, effective, and determined manner, which augurs well for its expansion.

There are approximately two thousand men drilling now, which will increase to four thousand on present showing before the end of the month, and, in addition, we have new companies forming practically every night throughout the different suburbs, while in the city, I am given to understand, there is to be a general organised movement of employers that will immensely increase the city companies.

When we consider that it is just a month today since the first suggestion appeared in the press, and it was practically 20th January before any move was made towards the rifle reserve, we may congratulate ourselves on the results to date, of less than 3 weeks, and on the prospects of the future.

By today’s mail I have had applications from five different Sydney centres, and one from the country, informing me companies were being formed, and asking for particulars of procedure, so there is no need to do any ‘flogging up.’”


(From Embarkation Rolls)

Private George James Anderson, Merewether, 22nd Infantry Battalion

Private Frederick Andrew Conlon, West Maitland, 12th Australian Light Horse Regiment,3rd Reinforcements

Private Robert McAllister, Tighes Hill, 13th Infantry Battalion, 7th Reinforcements

Private Bryan Moffatt, Newcastle, 19th Infantry Battalion

Private William John O’Hara, Liddell, 25th Infantry Battalion

Private John Stanley, Nords Wharf, 18th Infantry Battalion

Corporal Shoeing-Smith Patrick Bernard Walsh, Newcastle, 12th Australian Light Horse Regiment

This entry was posted in 无锡整形医院. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.